Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dearest Dad

Dearest Dad,

There are so many things I still want to say to you, but you were taken from us too suddenly and quickly. There's also so much of your past and biography that is now lost. I really wish that you had written some of those things down.

I am so grateful that you were brave enough to bring our family to Canada, even though we started out with almost nothing. Life must have been hard and very stressful when you and mom first came to this new country. But you knew that we would have so much more opportunity here, and that with a little bit of sacrifice and hard work, we could be anything that we wanted to be.

Thank you for giving us a home that I always felt safe and loved. Even though we didn't always agree on things, I could always count on your support. It gave me the strength to be who I want to be, and to lead my life with dignity and respect.
You taught me so much about the importance of a good education for a successful future. I'm sure that I would not have gone to medical school and be a psychiatrist now if it weren't for your guidance and influence. I have a stable job and economic future thanks to you.
As I grow older, I see more of you in me: Like your commitment to maintaining lifelong friendships; your love of different types of food (especially spicy food!); even your stubbornness and respect for privacy. I see all those qualities in myself, and I know that I'm definitely your son, not only because we have the same slightly curved pinky finger.

I'm so thankful that you visited me in San Francisco this past June. I will always treasure those memories. And though it breaks my heart that we have lost you so soon, I know that you are resting in peace.

Your loving son,

Edward

No comments:

Post a Comment